Based in Lucerne, Switzerland
Mundaun is a lovingly hand-pencilled horror tale set in a dark, secluded valley of the alps. It combines the narrative sensibility of a walking simulator with a more free-form approach to gameplay: Open levels, hostile encounters, vehicles, an inventory and a variety of hand-crafted puzzles. After learning of his grandfathers mysterious death in a fire, the protagonist travels to Mundaun for the first time since childhood. He will soon discover that something old and diabolical is haunting the remaining inhabitants. His odyssey up Mundaun mountain will take him from steep meadows across stony fields and to the snow-covered peak.
Mundaun began as a passion project for its creator Michel Ziegler. He has been fascinated by dark, mythical folklore since he was a child. Research for Mundaun began in summer 2014 on location in the Swiss alps. Prototyping began soon after that. In 2016, author Gabrielle Alioth joined the project as a story co-author. In 2017, the company Hidden Fields GmbH was founded to further professionalize the project. Mundaun has received many grants from a range of public institutions.
- Immerse yourself in a unique setting: An alpine world where reality and myth intertwine
- Experience a unique greyscale aesthetic thanks to hand-pencilled textures
- Explore varied and open levels from green meadows to snowy peaks
- Beware of the creatures roaming the landscape
- Solve Puzzles that are integrated into the game world as you make your way up the mountain
- Interact with its eccentric inhabitants who even have their own obscure spoken language
- Control vehicles such as sleighs and hay loaders.
- Find out the dark secret behind grandfathers death
Some of the hand-pencilled texture drawings for Mundaun on a wall Vimeo
Logo & Icon
About Hidden Fields
Hidden Fields is a game studio founded by programmer and illustrator Michel Ziegler located in idyllic Lucerne, Switzerland. We are the makers of Mundaun: A lovingly hand-pencilled horror tale.
More information on Hidden Fields, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Director, Artist, Game Designer