Based in Lucerne, Switzerland
Mundaun is a lovingly hand-pencilled horror tale set in a dark, secluded valley of the alps. Explore various areas full of secrets to discover, survive hostile encounters, drive vehicles, fill your inventory and solve a variety of hand-crafted puzzles. After learning of his grandfathers mysterious death in a fire, the protagonist travels to Mundaun for the first time since childhood. He will soon discover that something old and diabolical is haunting the remaining inhabitants. The quest to find out the meaning behind these sinister events takes the player on an odyssey up Mundaun mountain: From steep meadows across stony fields and to the snow-covered peak.
Mundaun began as a passion project for its creator Michel Ziegler. He has been fascinated by dark, mythical folklore since he was a child. Research for Mundaun began in summer 2014 on location in the Swiss alps. Prototyping began soon after that. In 2016, author Gabrielle Alioth joined the project as a story co-author. In 2017, the company Hidden Fields GmbH was founded to further professionalize the project. Mundaun has received many grants from a range of public institutions.
- Immerse yourself in a unique setting: An alpine world where reality and myth intertwine
- Experience a unique greyscale aesthetic thanks to hand-pencilled textures
- Explore varied and open levels from green meadows to snowy peaks
- Beware of the creatures roaming the landscape
- Solve Puzzles that are integrated into the game world as you make your way up the mountain
- Interact with its eccentric inhabitants who even have their own obscure spoken language
- Control vehicles such as sleighs and hay loaders
- Find out the dark secret behind grandfathers death
Some of the hand-pencilled texture drawings for Mundaun on a wall Vimeo
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Most Amazing Game (Nominee)" A MAZE Berlin 2019
- "Best in Play Honorable Mention" GDC Play 2019
- "Unearthing the folk horror of Mundaun"
- Ewan Wilson, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "Gosh this is pretty."
- Brock Wilbur, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "The alps are traditionally thought of as being a beautiful tourist attraction, but in Mundaun they’ve been transferred into a waking nightmare that the player willingly enters."
- Chris Shive, Hardcore Gamer
About Hidden Fields
Hidden Fields is a game studio founded by programmer and illustrator Michel Ziegler located in idyllic Lucerne, Switzerland. We are the makers of Mundaun: A lovingly hand-pencilled horror tale.
More information on Hidden Fields, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Director, Artist, Game Designer